You may have already noticed, but with the latest release of Apple’s latest software release OS X Yosemite, contacts have had somewhat of a makeover. Contacts now reflect the layout you see on our iPhone and iPad, while this can surely only be a positive thing you may miss the old design you were used too. For those of you who are already familiar with contacts and for those of you that aren’t lets have a little introduction on how to add a new contact on your Mac.
Firstly we need to make sure the address format in contacts is correct. The reason you need to state your country in contacts is because various countries have different address layouts resulting in incorrect email formats. To double check your current country is set follow these steps:
1) Open up Contacts, usually on your Dock or in Launchpad
2) The icon for Contacts is a brown organiser (Filofax)
2) In Contacts on the main toolbar select Contact > Preferences > General
3) In your general setting there is an option called Address Format
4) If your country is already stated great, if it’s not click the dropdown to select the correct one and then hit save
How To Add Contacts On Mac Easily
1) In Contacts go to File > New Card, or for a simple shortcut type and hold CMD + N
2) Enter your contacts first and last name, if you don’t know their last name just add the forename. Remember to give yourself a clue as you don’t want five Adams on your address book and not know who’s which Adam!
3) Enter a company name if you’d like
4) Enter your contacts phone number, these can include work, home, mobile etc. To change the order of numbers click the dropdown and find something more suitable than the default options
5) Add one or multiple email address for that contact
6) Add a home and work address (optional)
7) To add a photo of your contact drag and drop a picture of the contact onto the empty photo box (great for friends and family)
8) When you have finished entering all the details click Done
9) If sometime in the future you need to edit a contacts details click the edit button
10) If you would like to share a contacts details with someone else select the option Share, contacts will now pop up with details of who you would like to share with and how
Deleting a contact
There may come a time when deleting a contact is necessary, so here’s how to do just that:
1) Locate the contact you would like to remove
2) Click on the contact and then hit the delete key on your keypad
3) A pop up will now show asking if you would like to delete that contact in your address book. Once deleted it’s deleted.
4) Or another option is to go to the top toolbar and go to Edit > Delete contact card
To add the Contacts application to your dock for easy access, go to Launchpad > locate the contact app > and drag it onto your Dock, it will automatically appear and stay there. To remove the icon from your Dock drag it into trash, this doesn’t delete the application from you mac only the icon from the dock. Contacts can still be located in your Application folder as usual.
Latest posts by Sophie (see all)
- Best Mac AntiVirus Apps – What to Look For? - November 10, 2015
- Best Mac AntiVirus Apps – ‘What to Look For’ Continued… - June 5, 2015
- Top 12 Ways Apple Macs Get Viruses – Pt 4 - June 3, 2015