In this quick and simple tutorial we will be showing you how to reply to Messages you receive on your Mac computer.
So here we go..
Quick Reply Notification on Mac
You will notice if you are not currently using your Mac Messages App the notifications centre will pop up to tell you a new message has been received in the top right corner of your screen. If will pop up with a brief description of the message and buttons that say Reply or Close.
1) To reply to the message click reply
2) A small text box will now come up
3) Enter your reply
4) Hit the return button to send the message
Other Ways to Reply to Your Mac Messages
There are other ways to reply to your messages than just the quick reply. The quick reply option is pretty limited as you cannot send any media file or icons.
For a more detailed reply and the option I use most:
1) Open up your Messages Application
2) You will be able to see all your contacts and their message history when you click on them, choose a contact you would like to reply too
3) You will see their full message history in full and deicide what you would like to reply to them with, maybe you would like to add a photo, a video etc?
4) Type your reply in the message box and hit the return button to send your message.
5) If your contact reply’s back to you the message will pop up in the same box with all your message history
How to Delete a Message on Mac
1) To delete a message of your own or a recipients click the message once
2) You will notice that message will now be highlighted
3) To delete the message hit the delete key
4) The message is now deleted, the same method also applies for photo’s and videos
How to Add Emoji to Your Mac Messages
1) When you are sending a reply to someone you will notice on the right hand side of the message box is an icon of a smiley face
2) Click the smiley face icon
3) Many Emoji icons will now pop up, to use one click on the appropriate icon and it will be added to your message.
Activate ‘Do Not Disturb’ on Mac
There may some a point in time where you do not want to be disturbed with incoming messages on your Mac. Sometimes if you are part of a group message loads of reply that may not concern you will keep on coming through. To activate Do Not Disturb:
1) Click on the persons message you no longer want to receive reply’s from
2) At the top right on the message window will be a button names Details
3) Click Details and you will see a Do Not disturb option to mute the conversation
4) Tick the box Do Not Disturb
5) To deactivate uncheck the box
Send a Voice Reply on Mac
To send a voice reply instead of a standard message next to the Emoji icon is an image of a microphone, click and hold to record your message. Release and hit Return key to send.
Latest posts by Sophie (see all)
- Best Mac AntiVirus Apps – What to Look For? - November 10, 2015
- Best Mac AntiVirus Apps – ‘What to Look For’ Continued… - June 5, 2015
- Top 12 Ways Apple Macs Get Viruses – Pt 4 - June 3, 2015