What is Mac Messages?
Mac Messages is a platform on Yosemite where you can send and receive MMS (Multi Media Messages) and SMS (Short Message Service) messages to family and friends using iOS services and Andriod devices straight on your Mac.
For example when you open up the Messages App on your Mac you will be able to send a text message to say an iPhone your sister is using, and you can also send pictures, video’s, voice memo’s etc.
How to Send a Message From your Mac
Sending a message is fairly easy after you have set up the application with your Apple ID and details. For the article on how to set up Messages please click here…
1) On your Dock or Launchpad open up Messages
2) Once in Messages a window will pop up. To add a recipient to send a message too click on New Message at the top of your screen.
3) Another alternative to create a new message is to click on the icon that’s a pad and pen.
4) Enter the phone number of your contact or enter their name (If the person is already in your Mac contact’s their details will come up once the name is entered)
5) To write a message to your contact click your curser in the ‘Message box’ and start writing.
6) To send the message hit the Enter/Return key on your keypad and the message will automatically send to the recipient
7) Remember when you are sending a message to someone on iOS the message will show in Blue (iMessage), if the person is using a blackberry or an android device the message will be green.
8) If you are sending your message to another also using iOS the message will tell you if it’s been delivered or not.
How to Send a Photo or Video using Mac Messages
To send a photo or video using Mac Messages just follow these simple steps below
1) Make sure you have your photo or video at the ready on your desktop or have your iPhoto open
2) Now drag the media into the message area and drop
3) To know it’s been added correctly there will be a little thumbnail of the photo or video in the message area
4) You can also decide to add some text in that media message also
5) To send the message hit Enter/Return on your keypad
If you have Messages also set up on your Mac you will notice after sending a message on any of your devices (Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc) if will show on each of these devices. Sometimes there can be a slight delay in the update so give it some time.
Did you know you can also send a voice message as well? To send a voice message, in the message box there is an icon of a microphone, click and hold the icon to record your message. To send hit the Return button.
Latest posts by Sophie (see all)
- Best Mac AntiVirus Apps – What to Look For? - November 10, 2015
- Best Mac AntiVirus Apps – ‘What to Look For’ Continued… - June 5, 2015
- Top 12 Ways Apple Macs Get Viruses – Pt 4 - June 3, 2015